Home Electrical Safety Tips

Safety Tips

GPL-imageUse this checklist below to help make your home more electrically safe.

Check for outlets that have loose-fitting plugs, which can overheat and lead to fire. Replace any broken wall plates. Make sure there are safety covers on all unused outlets that are accessible to children.

Make sure cords are in good condition - frayed or cracked. Make sure they are placed out of traffic areas. Cords should never be nailed or stapled to the wall, baseboard or to another object and they should not have any furniture resting on them.

Extension Cords
Check to see that the cords are not overheated. Additionally, extension cords should only be used on a temporary basis; they are not safe as permanent household wiring.

Make sure the proper type plug is in each outlet. If you are using three-prong plugs in a room with two-conductor outlets, do not cut off the ground pin (the third/bottom prong) from the plug; this could lead to an electrical shock hazard. A better solution is to use a two-prong adapter. Never force a plug into an outlet if it doesn't fit. This could lead to fire of shock. Plugs should fit securely into outlets, and outlets should not be overloaded.

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs)
GFCIs can prevent many electrocutions. They should be used in any area where water and electricity may come into contact. Test GFCIs regularly according to the manufacturer's instructions to make sure they are working properly.plug-image-2

Light Bulb
Check the wattage of all bulbs in lighting fixtures to make sure they are the correct wattage for the size of the fixture. Replace bulbs that have higher wattage than recommended; if you don't know the correct wattage, check with the manufacturer of the fixture. Make sure bulbs are screwed in securely; loose bulbs may overheat.

Circuit Breakers / Fuses
Circuit breakers and fuses should be the correct size fuse. Have an electrician identify and label the sizes to be used. Never replace a fuse with anything but another correct-size fuse.

Water and Electricity Don't Mix
Don't place any electrical appliances near water, i.e. sink or a bathtub. Appliances that are used near water should be unplugged when not in use. If you have an appliance that has gotten wet, unplug it and don't use it until it's been checked by a qualified repair person.

If one appliance repeatedly blows a fuse or trips a circuit breaker, or if it has emitted an electric shock, unplug it and have it repaired or replaced.

Entertainment / Computer Equipment
Check to see that the equipment is in good condition and working properly; look for cracks or damage in wiring, plugs and connectors.

Call Before You Dig
It's the law! You must call the Indiana Underground Plant Protection Service at 1-800-382-5544 at least two working days before you dig. IUPPS does not mark the lines, but will contact the necessary utility providers who will do the locating. 

*     *     *

To learn more about electrical safety at home and at work, visit the website of the National Electrical Safety Foundation.

Contact GPL

Electric Utility Manager
Telephone: 317-477-4370
Fax: 317-477-4371

City Phone Directory

Mayor's Office - 317-477-4300
Clerk Treasurer - 317-477-4310
Utility Billing - 317-477-4330
Planning (Permits) - 317-477-4320
Street Department - 317-477-4380
Power and Light - 317-477-4370
Wastewater Department - 317-477-4360
Park Cemetery - 317-477-4387
Pothole Hotline - 317-325-1680
Parks and Recreation - 317-477-4340
Water Department - 317-477-4350
Animal Management - 317-477-4367