Wellhead Protection Program

WHPP (Wellhead Protection Program) Information

The Wellhead Protection Program or "WHPP" is a program to sustain drinking water quality in ground waters that supply wells and wellfields. The Program is mandated by the 1986 amendments to the Federal Safe Drinking Act. (Title II. Section 205. Subsection 1428.) and Indiana Wellhead Protection Rule. (327 IAC 8.4-1)

The Wellhead Protection Program consists of two phases. Phase I involves the delineation of a Wellhead Protection Area (WHPA), identifying potential sources of contamination, and creating management and contingency plans for the WHPA. Phase II involves the implementation of the plan created in Phase I, and each community are required to report to IDEM how they have protected ground water resources. The Five Year Update(s) consists of documenting changes and results from implementation of Phase II. Five Year Updates occur as long as the drinking water system is operating.



• Dispose of harmful chemicals properly. Do not dump them on the ground or put them down the drain.
• Take used motor oil to a recycling center.
• Limit the amount of fertilizer and pesticides used on gardens and lawns.
• Properly abandon unused wells or cisterns.
• Dispose of houshold hazardous waste properly.
• Remove abandoned fuel oil and gasoline tanks properly.
• Report illegal dumping.


More Information

If you would like to view the Greenfield Water Utility's Wellhead Protection Plan, Please contact the Water Utility at 477-4350.

For more information on Wellhead Protection Plans or more ways to prevent groundwater contamination. Please visit the EPA website or IDEM website.


Contact Water Utility

Water Utility Manager
Address: 451 Meek St
Greenfield, IN 46140
Telephone: 317-477-4350

Assistant Water Utility Manager

Assistant Water Utility Manager
Address: Water Utility
451 Meek St.
Telephone: 317-477-4350

Distribution Supervisor

Distribution Supervisor
Address: Water Utility
451 Meek Street
Telephone: 317-477-4350

City Phone Directory

Mayor's Office - 317-477-4300
Clerk Treasurer - 317-477-4310
Utility Billing - 317-477-4330
Planning (Permits) - 317-477-4320
Street Department - 317-477-4380
Power and Light - 317-477-4370
Wastewater Department - 317-477-4360
Park Cemetery - 317-477-4387
Pothole Hotline - 317-325-1680
Parks and Recreation - 317-477-4340
Water Department - 317-477-4350
Animal Management - 317-477-4367