Mayor Chuck Fewell
Use this checklist below to help make your home more electrically safe.
OutletsCheck for outlets that have loose-fitting plugs, which can overheat and lead to fire. Replace any broken wall plates. Make sure there are safety covers on all unused outlets that are accessible to children.
Extension CordsCheck to see that the cords are not overheated. Additionally, extension cords should only be used on a temporary basis; they are not safe as permanent household wiring.
PlugsMake sure the proper type plug is in each outlet. If you are using three-prong plugs in a room with two-conductor outlets, do not cut off the ground pin (the third/bottom prong) from the plug; this could lead to an electrical shock hazard. A better solution is to use a two-prong adapter. Never force a plug into an outlet if it doesn't fit. This could lead to fire of shock. Plugs should fit securely into outlets, and outlets should not be overloaded.
Light BulbCheck the wattage of all bulbs in lighting fixtures to make sure they are the correct wattage for the size of the fixture. Replace bulbs that have higher wattage than recommended; if you don't know the correct wattage, check with the manufacturer of the fixture. Make sure bulbs are screwed in securely; loose bulbs may overheat.
Circuit Breakers / FusesCircuit breakers and fuses should be the correct size fuse. Have an electrician identify and label the sizes to be used. Never replace a fuse with anything but another correct-size fuse.
Water and Electricity Don't MixDon't place any electrical appliances near water, i.e. sink or a bathtub. Appliances that are used near water should be unplugged when not in use. If you have an appliance that has gotten wet, unplug it and don't use it until it's been checked by a qualified repair person.
AppliancesIf one appliance repeatedly blows a fuse or trips a circuit breaker, or if it has emitted an electric shock, unplug it and have it repaired or replaced.
Entertainment / Computer EquipmentCheck to see that the equipment is in good condition and working properly; look for cracks or damage in wiring, plugs and connectors.
* * *
To learn more about electrical safety at home and at work, visit the website of the National Electrical Safety Foundation.